glow Pingston Electric BLOG COUPONS & REVIEWS linkedinlogo1 FBLogo1 Twitter square blue large genericYelpBizButton badge36_36 instagram-logo-60x60 smallgoogleplus

|

Now Serving the Middle & Lower Keys

By Pingston Electric, LLC, Dec 7 2017 06:15PM

Add Safety to the first item on your Christmas List this season and follow these tips to keep your family safe from electrical hazards when installing and or buying holiday lighting.

• Make sure all your indoor & outdoor lights have been tested by the UL or ETL/ITSNA for safety. A Green Holographic UL mark would say "Indoor Use Only" while a Red one indicates that the product is safe for both indoor & outdoor use.

• Any lights you use outdoors must be plugged into a ground fault circuit interupter protected outlet.

• Before you begin decorating, verify how many strands of lights it is safe to connect end-to-end. As a general rule, it's 3. Be careful not to overload extension cords.

• Every so often, check your Christmas light wires to make sure that they're not warm to the touch.

• Always unplug lights before changing bulbs, replacing fuses, or making any repairs.

• Before leaving the house or heading off to bed, please unplug all Christmas lights & decorations.

Having your electrical system inspected is the first step toward ensuring your family's safety this holiday season. Call us today if you would like us to inspect home.

From everyone here at Pingston Electric, we wish you a happy, healthy and safe holiday season!

By Pingston Electric, LLC, Aug 29 2017 07:22PM

Portable generators come in handy during long term power outages. However, if you don't know how to use them properly, they can be dangerous.

Ensure that the generator you purchase is the right size for your needs, and is only used to power essential equipment or appliances.

No matter what size, generators should always be installed by a licensed electrician and connected to your home's wiring through a special transfer switch. Here is more information on what a transfer switch does.

Never try to power the house wiring by plugging the generator into a wall outlet, a practice known as "backfeeding." This is an extremely dangerous practice that presents an electrocution risk to utility workers and neighbors served by the same utility transformer. It also bypasses some of the built-in household circuit protection devices.

Never touch a generator if you are wet or are standing in water or on damp ground. Always dry your hands before touching the unit to avoid electric shock.

Never refuel a hot generator or one that is running. Hot engine parts or exhaust can ignite gasoline.

Never use a generator indoors. Opening doors and windows or using fans WILL NOT prevent CO build up in the home. Did you know that one 5.5kW generator can produce exhaust containing as much carbon monoxide as six idling vehicles?

You should always have a battery operated carbon monoxide alarm to be alerted if carbon monoxide levels become dangerous.

Because you can not see, smell or taste CO, it is important to be aware of the symptoms of CO poisoning. Symptoms of CO poisoning can be similar to common illnesses, such as a cold, flu or food poisoning. These include:

• Dizziness

• Headache

• Fainting

• Nausea

• Weakness

• Shortness of Breath

If you experience any of these symptoms, get outside to fresh air and call 911 immediately.

So now that you know a little about generators, let us help you get storm ready by calling us today for a free quote 321-773-4651.

By Pingston Electric, LLC, May 2 2017 04:58PM

Kitchen Lighting has come of age in the last couple years, with more styles and designs being available than ever before.

Recessed Ceiling Lights create task lighting for cooking and cleaning. By adding lighting to these areas, it allows you to draw attention to stove tops or sink areas.

Your kitchen table would be another focal point as with kitchen islands or peninsulas. Recessed lighting can add some color or style by breaking up the space without obstructing views and can make your kitchen warm and inviting once again.

Also, when placed properly you can open up space, making rooms look bigger while still getting the light you need. Their contemporary look combine function, cost-savings, and ambiance.

Let's not forget under cabinet lighting. It is a necessity especially in larger kitchens. Under cabinet lights can draw attention to marble and granite countertops. It's also a great way to get light into small spaces with raking away precious counter space.

Hire an experienced electrician that will do an inspection of your property, provide information about code standards and give you advice on the best way to create the setting you are looking for. If you need help getting started just give us a call.

By Pingston Electric, LLC, Mar 1 2017 07:15PM

Have you found any of your outlets scorched or have burn marks on them? This is often caused by heat resulting from an overloaded circuit, loose connections, overheated wires and or sparking. Left un-repaired, you could end up with a house fire.

Faulty outlets are a common source of household electrical fires. Since you interact with them often, they can become loose, worn or damaged overtime. Noises, such as buzzing sounds or pops, indicate a problem as well. Many homeowners can confidently replace an outlet, but in this case you may have wiring damage that requires professional repair. Get in touch with us if you notice any of your outlets having any of these problems.

RSS Feed