By Pingston Electric, LLC, Dec 7 2017 06:15PM
Add Safety to the first item on your Christmas List this season and follow these tips to keep your family safe from electrical hazards when installing and or buying holiday lighting.
• Make sure all your indoor & outdoor lights have been tested by the UL or ETL/ITSNA for safety. A Green Holographic UL mark would say "Indoor Use Only" while a Red one indicates that the product is safe for both indoor & outdoor use.
• Any lights you use outdoors must be plugged into a ground fault circuit interupter protected outlet.
• Before you begin decorating, verify how many strands of lights it is safe to connect end-to-end. As a general rule, it's 3. Be careful not to overload extension cords.
• Every so often, check your Christmas light wires to make sure that they're not warm to the touch.
• Always unplug lights before changing bulbs, replacing fuses, or making any repairs.
• Before leaving the house or heading off to bed, please unplug all Christmas lights & decorations.
Having your electrical system inspected is the first step toward ensuring your family's safety this holiday season. Call us today if you would like us to inspect home.
From everyone here at Pingston Electric, we wish you a happy, healthy and safe holiday season!